Ignite Your Creative Fire and Sharpen Your Writing Skills
In this interactive Flash Fiction workshop, participants use prompts to get their creative juices flowing as they sharpen their writing skills. They free their imaginations, spark their creativity, and improve their written communication skills.
Target Audience: Who Will Benefit Most From This Exciting Workshop?
- Corporate Conferences
- Retired Persons
- Book Clubs
- Group/Association Annual Meetings
- Writers’ groups and conferences
What comes first, dialog, characters, plot, or setting? Any of these can inspire us to create or present stumbling blocks to putting words on a page. What would happen if we removed the need for determining who, what, and where? What if someone handed them to us? Would our writing process change? How would we find creative ways to integrate potentially unrelated items into a cohesive tale? To achieve this, we must free our imaginations and think differently. To access this part of ourselves, we will use prompts to spark our creativity and blast through any obstacles.
In this interactive Flash Fiction workshop, participants use prompts to get their creative juices flowing as they sharpen their writing skills. They randomly choose and incorporate various objects, locations, and characters as they write micro-stories or poems. After an initial brainstorming session on each of the following skill sets, they write three short pieces. The first piece focuses on writing compelling dialog. The second focuses on characterization, and the third focuses on plot development and resolution. Participants then build camaraderie as they present their stories in a supportive environment and share the process they used for developing them.
Throughout this exciting and engaging process, Izolda facilitates the expression of creativity, the exchange of ideas, and guides everyone to produce their best work.
- Izolda’s fast-paced “Flash Your Fiction!” writing workshop was entertaining, engaging, and inspiring. Our group loved that she led with a science experiment that not only got our brains engaged but got our blood pumping a bit, too. It was a helpful reminder that physical and mental activities together can form a powerful feedback loop. The writing exercises themselves clearly illustrated how using flash fiction can clear the mental decks and open up new paths to creativity. For those of us who had never tried flash fiction before, Izolda’s workshop was an eye-opening experience in how to use this technique to crystalize focus and drive to completion. We’re already looking forward to having Izolda back for her “Speak Your Words” workshop!
—Jennifer Bort Yacovissi, Author, Up the Hill to Home; President, Maryland Writers Association Annapolis Chapter
- I left Izolda Traktenberg’s “Flash Your Fiction” presentation feeling inspired and excited. Izolda is a talented presenter. Her style is warm, open, and engaging. Writers of all ages and experience levels benefited from this workshop, since the lecture was interesting and easy to follow. The exercises encouraged attendees to dive in however worked best for us. This dynamic teacher makes learning joyful with enchanting lessons that stay with you long after the session ends. –Carolee Noury, Maryland Writers’ Association Board Member
- “I enjoyed this meeting and getting past the thinking (overthinking, in my case) and into straight creative writing was so helpful. Great lesson.” -Giselle Richards Calame, Publicity Chair, Montgomery County Chapter of the Maryland Writers’ Association